Ellington

Red Lodge, on the east side of the village, is a late 17th century house, built perhaps by the Throckmortons.  It is probably the manor house of the chief manor, and the homestead moat in its grounds  apparently marks the site of the earlier manor house of the tenants of Ramsey Abbey.

According to the records of Ramsey Abbey, Ellington was granted to them by Alfwold, brother of their founder Ailwyn, and by his wife Alfild, who held it for life.

King Edgar, Edward the Confessor, and succeeding Kings confirmed the place and all appurtenances as given in the time of King Edgar, and in 1086 the Abbot held a manor assessed at 10 hides.  The Abbey continued in possession until the dissolution.

The overlordship of Ellington Thorpe or Sibthorpe  or Grymes Manor belonged to Ramsey Abbey, as a member of the Barony of Broughton.

There was a church on the land of the Abbot of Ramsey in 1086, and from that date the advowson and the rectory belonged to the abbey until the dissolution in 1539.  The Abbot leased them at divers times, and a little before the dissolution, John Lawrence, the last Abbot, leased the advowson  to Thomas Audley (Awdeley).

The Domesday Book lists the agrarian holdings of Ramsey Abbey in 1066 as 10 hides  and the estate was valued at 10, in 1095 it was 8-6s, 1140 9 and in 1201 it was 12.  (Ref 25)

Back