Kings Ripton

Early records show that the manor was an ancient demense of the crown until the reign of King Henry 1 (1100-1135), when the sovereign granted his manor of Ripton to Walter, Abbot of Ramsey to hold for ever as a fee farm paying 8 per annum.

Succeeding sovereigns continued the arrangement and apart from changes in rent the Abbots of Ramsey remained Lords of the Manor until the dissolution in or about 1536.

At the time of the Domesday Survey, 1086, Ripton consisted of Abbots Ripton and Kings Ripton which had not been formed.  (Ref

Back