Papworth Hundred


Manor The Abbot of Ramsey holds
Graveley(Gravelei)
5 hides. Land for 7 ploughs. In lordship 2½ hides; 2 ploughs there.
8 villagers and 8 smallholders with 5 ploughs. 4 slaves; wood for fences and houses.
The value is and was £6; before 1066 £8.
This Manor lies and always lay in (the lands of) St. Benedict’s Church


Manor
The Abbot of Ramsey holds
Elsworth (Elesworde)

9 hides, 1 virgate and 5 acres. Land for 22 ploughs. In lordship 4 hides; 3 ploughs there; a fourth possible.
19 villagers, 17 smallholders and 1 Frenchman who has 3 virgates; together they have 18 ploughs. 5 cottagers.
Meadow for 4 ploughs; 4 slaves; pasture for the village livestock; wood for the court’s houses. The total value £16; when acquired £14; before 1066 £20.
This manor always lay and lies in the lordship of St. Benedict’s Church.

Manor
The Abbot of St. Benedict’s holds
Knapwell (Chenepwelle)

5 hides. Land for 8 ploughs. In lordship 1½ hides; 2 ploughs there.
8 villagers and 4 freemen, who have 1½ hides; 4 smallholders with 5 acres each. 4 cottagers; 4 slaves.
Wood for fences; meadow for 2 ploughs
The total value is and was £6; before 1066 £8.
This manor lies and always lay in the lordship of St. Benedict’s Church. Before 1066 the said 4 freemen could grant and sell their land without the Abbot’s permission, but the jurisdiction remained with the Abbot.

In Boxworth (Bochefuuorde)
The Abbot also holds ½ hide. Land for ½ plough.
Meadow for ½ plough. The value is and was 4s.
This land lies and always lay in the Church’s lordship.

In (Fen) Drayton (Draitone)
The Abbot also holds 3 virgates. Land for 4 oxen; they are there
Meadow for 4 oxen. 2 slaves. The value is and always was 3s.
This land lies and always lay in the Church’s lordship.

Manor
The Abbot of Ramsey holds
Over (ovre)

10 hides and 3 virgates. Land for 10½ ploughs. In lordship 6 hides;
1 plough there; a second possible.
14 villagers, 2 smallholders and 3 cottagers with 6 ploughs;
a further 2½ ploughs possible. 2 slaves;
meadow for 10½ ploughs; pasture for the village livestock;
from the marsh 6s 4d.
Total value £8; when acquired £6; before 1066 £10.
This manor lies and always lay in the lordship of St. Benedict’s Church.

Back