In 1086 the Domesday Book lists Ramsey Abbey's agrarian holdings as 10 hides, the value of the estates was £10, £8-6s in 1095, £10 in 1140 and £25-1s-4d in 1170.
The manor of Upwood was confirmed to Ramsey Abbey by Pope Alexander in 1178.
At the time of the Domesday Survey, (1086) Great Raveley had not been formed, it was part of Upwood.
W.M. Noble 1911 states; Here was the seat of Duke Ailwyn, founder of Ramsey Abbey (969), who gave his manor house to the Abbey at his death. The present manor house doubtless stands upon the same site. (Ref 25)