Wyton

Both Wyton and Houghton belonged to Ramsey Abbey during the middle ages and consequently did not have resident Lords of the manor.  This had a permanent effect in that there is no old manorial site in either village.

In the Domesday Book it shows that in 1066 the agrarian holdings of Ramsey Abbey in Wyton was 7 hides, the estates were valued at 7, in 1095 the value of these plus the 7 hides at Houghton was 17 combined, 10 plus farm in 1135, 60s in 1140 and 10 plus a farm in 1201.  (Ref 25)

Back