The manor of Elton is said to have been given to the Abbey of Ramsey by Etheric, or Ethelric, Bishop of Dorchester (1016-34). He held the abbey in special affection in gratitude for the kindness shown by the abbot (who, as the 12th century chronicler of the abbey suggests, perhaps remembering his own youth) towards him when, as a boy at school in the abbey, he and his companions rang the great bell at the abbey until they cracked it !
The Bishop gave Elton to the abbey for ever, for the support of the monks. It was never granted away to a sub-tenant, but its profits were paid directly to the abbey until its dissolution in 1539. Being assigned to the support of the monks, it paid its ‘farm’, to the cellarer, supplying grain, cheese, bacon, honey, fowls, geese, young pigs, lambs, sheep, butter, eggs, beef, and money for herrings, brewing, livery and dishes, in fixed amounts each year. Probably these supplies came from the demense lands of the manor-that is, the lands which were cultivated by the bailiff, the chief official of the abbey in the manor.
The church in Elton was in existence in the time of the Domesday Survey, and possibly when the manor was granted to Ramsey Abbey. The Advowson belonged to the abbey until the dissolution.
Etheric acquired Elton in a strange way, one night under the influence of alcohol during dinner Elton was offered to him for 50 gold marks, with one condition, that he raised the money by the next mornings breakfast, believing that it was not possible for him to do this, Etheric produced the money and so bought Elton.
The Abbot of Ramsey had gallows and trebuchet in the manor. The free tenants also owed suit to the abbot’s court of the Honour of Broughton.
In 1541 Henry VIII granted the manor of Elton to Queen Katherine Howard as part of her jointure. In 1546 it was in turn granted to Queen Katherine Parr, in whose time considerable repairs were carried out at the manor house and its buildings. (Ref 25)