St Ives Bridge
Click on the images above for a larger image.
This Bridge chapel was dedicated to St Laurence / St Leger and was consecrated in 1426. It is one of only three such Bridge Chapels in the country. In the photo looking upstream the two arches shown on the extreme left of the bridge are more rounded than the other three Medieval arches. This is because the original medieval arches were demolished by Oliver Cromwell’s troops and a drawbridge was put in place to defend the town. They were rebuilt, in a more modern style, after the Civil War.